Ryan. But, really it's a day that I will never forget because I felt a little piece of my boy leaving me.
We were all in the backyard playing when it happened. Ryan was standing on his playset and could see the kids riding their scooters over the fence. In his super innocent, eager voice he said, "hi guys". Right away my heart panicked that they would think he sounded dorky or not cool (who am I? The cool police?!?!) and laugh at him being stuck in his backyard and not able to be outside playing with them.
They said hi back and asked him to come out an play with them. Ryan eagerly answered, "Okay!" I freaked out, gave Rod my fish-eyed look (for which Rod gave them back to me because we both were not exactly ready for front yard, play on your own, kind of play). I told Ryan a king as Daddy was out there with him, he could go.
And, in less than 30 seconds, we were ALL heading over to the neighbors house...

Here's where I had (one of I'm sure many) a moment of "I've been replaced.". Nothing I say will be funny, cool or super smart. I'm now just a "girl without a scooter".

Rod and I learned a lot today: 1.) Ryan did great and fit right in. 2.) No, we are not ready for him to play out in the front by himself and his buddies. (Only if we are outside or our new friends who we've gotten to know lately.). 3.) Sammy wants to be Ryan. 4.) we definitely need to upgrade Ryan's scooter.
Ryan's scooter is a hand-me-down that Ryan loves. He kept saying "but my scooter is so cool" when he was playing with his new mommy-replacements.
Not sure what is happening below but thought the picture could tell a thousand stories.

Ugh, as I create this post, I totally realize that I was "that mom" (and without a scooter) with a camera documenting a simple day playing outside with the neighborhood kids.
My heart melted the entire play time. I couldn't keep my eyes off of Ryan.
While he was playing he looked at me and said, "it's because I'm getting bigger." (why he was out their with "those" kids).
Lesson 5.) this mom's heart needs to toughen up!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:
Ahh Jess this is just one of many to come. You will get tougher.
I love how you called your mom and then grabbed the camera. Yes it's true a mother's heart always skips a beat even when your child is 35. That was a big day for me to get that call and hear your excitement.
Can we maybe get knee pads and helmets for the kids. ?? :)
Well, I'm sad and proud. Little Sammy makes me sad with his cough and the way he watched the big boys. Ryan, I'm proud he is growing up, but hate the idea of it.
super sweet post.. sad and bittersweet that they ever have to grow up huh
Oh no!!!! When did he get so big and old? That picture of Sammy standing in front of him made my heart bust. You are still so needed. You'll be putting bandaids on the little scrapes he'll come home with. Love love love this post.
Post a Comment