background

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Husband-Wife Getaway...

...to New York City!!! Could not have had a better time. We stayed in the best location, ate the most amazing food (every single restaurant was amazing), road the subway everywhere, and just had fun being together! New York was a trip I'll never forget. Our good friends Marisa and Ryan joined us. (Actually, we joined them on their annual trip).

We ate at Lombardi's, Patsy's Pizzeria, Bloom Cafe, Blue Ribbon Sushi, some other fancy sushi place, Balthazar's (AMAZING) in Soho, Angela's Deli, and a hot dog stand.

We went up in the Empire State building, down deep in the subway, and ALL over Manhattan. We would leave our hotel around 9am, and not get back to the room until after midnight. So much to see! I recommend a December trip to NYC to anyone and everyone...that's willing to do a lot of walking! LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT OUR TRIP. Oh, we could have done without one thing...Rod and I got a glass of wine and a mixed drink at the Meridian hotel. The tab for the two drinks was $41.00 Pretty proud, pretty proud.



Our hotel was RIGHT next door to Grand Central Station. Perfect location if willing to take subways everywhere. So wonderful! Inside the station, they had several tents for vendors to sell their stuff. Multiple Christmas gifts were purchased here.


The first morning, Rod and I walked to Byrant Park, before heading to Patsy's Pizzeria to meet up with Megan (Hanus) Coburn and her family! We had some YUMMY pizza and a fun time catching up with her and the kids.



Megan and I have been friends since we were three. She and her family live in Baltimore now. They too decided to take a trip to NYC for the weekend.




Lovin' NYC!



This is Balthazar's. (spelling?) Jamie Schultz is another friend since childhood. She lives there so knew some great places to take us. This being one of them. We had some wine and dessert here. Hands down the best dessert ever. We ordered three different ones. All of which were amazing.



We not only took a picture in front of the Dave Letterman sign....we got to see a taping of the show. Yep, AND we were in the second row!!! Mimi (Rod's mom) got a picture of the t.v. with us in the audience!!! Before we arrived to the taping of the show, we had just eaten at Lombardi's. As we were walking to a subway station, we walked right on to the set of "Life on Mars".



Beautiful, beautiful!!! Aren't we?! No, the tree was gorgeous!!! It had Sarwoski crystals on the star at the top. LOTS of people. We saw a guy propose to a girl on the ice, just under the tree. I tried so hard to snap a picture of the two of them just lookign in to each other's eyes, but my camera would not focus to save my life.




And, if you know anything about me, I LOVE GMA (Good Morning America). Diane, Chris, Robin and Sam are the NICEST people, and they just seem so geniune. I, being the big girl that I am, went down to Times Square (also near our hotel) by myself and got on t.v.!



I believe this was the last day. The BIGGEST snowflakes were falling. We made a stop in the Plaza hotel so Rod could get some work done. Fancy? YES! So, while I enjoyed the lobby, I looked out the window and saw that it was snowing. Queue the camera. I asked the bartender (acting like I'm staying there...I'm sure she knew quite well I wasn't) if the gi-normous snowflakes were normal. She said she's never seen them this big before. So, I tried to snap a pic so you could get the idea. No justice. They seriously looked like cottonballs falling out of the sky. Soft and innocent.

We really had a great time. LOVED the feeling of Christmas there. I had to go to work the day after we got back, and was sad that San Antonio just doesn't look like "Christmas".
Some of you are wondering if I missed Ryan while I was gone. Yes. And, no. I had a little anxiety on the plane ride up there. Just thinking how far I was from him. Then, I realized I needed to get over that. So, the next three days, my mom said I never mentioned his name while talking to her on the phone. (Which I called her several times a day to tell her all the amazing things we were doing and seeing). Last day..."get me home to my baby."

5 comments:

court garrison said...

Okay Jess...my heart is beating a little bit faster right now. Why? One because you two look so happy and fun. Two...NYC is my FAVORITE in December! I almost cried a few times when I was there 3 years ago in December. Its the BEST! Angelas Rock and Roll Deli is the best right!?! Makes you feel like a legit New Yorker! I think we should make a December NY trip an annual or maybe a bi-annual tradition...and if I cant get my husband to agree to that, maybe you and I arrange a girls trip!?! I LOVE this post! Thanks for bringing a little of my favorite December city to me! Makes me smile how you and Rod have so much fun together! :) Love you! Wait, please tell me yall hit up Broadway?!?! If not, you have to go back just for that!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Looks like you guys had such a wonderful trip, I'm glad you got away for a "husband and wife getaway" - so needed. You look great. Miss you!

Shelly said...

What a fabulous trip...it looks like everything was amazing! I can't believe those gigantic snowflakes. And the food...I want to go there just for that. So glad it was fun!!

Sharla said...

What priceless memories! I am living vicariously...

Abby wants to know if Ryan can come play soon -- his Mommy is definitely invited, but not required. Weekends are best for him, I assume? Most any day works for Abby. Let's pick a date and get it on the calendar.

Melanie Flinn said...

Love it. I think you just sold me on going there next year- seriously! I used to live in Boston and would take the bus over to the city to visit friends. I miss it! :( It's been over 7 years- yikes!
Glad you guys had some alone time. Our first trip was when Lucas turned 1 year- we went to Napa which was an awesome getaway too.
Happy New Years Tootle family!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Labels

Blog Archive