
We had a BLAST on our vacation. I absolutely under-estimated Ryan with how well he would do on such an excursion. Our trip included a night at Grandma's, four nights in Huron on the lake, one night in an Amish country, one night in Gallipolis, OH, and the final night in Columbus, OH. Ryan seriously handled the ENTIRE trip as though he was a world traveler. He slept in closets, bathrooms, and hotel rooms with the t.v. on! I think he ate his weight in snacks while on this trip. (Whatever kept him going, we gave him). We were so proud of him. We were mostly proud of his new accomplishment of WALKING!!!! He walked right in to the arms of Aunt Tallie (which by the way....Tallie, you need to come up with your name).
There is so much to say about this vacation. I don't even know where to begin.
We started off at my Auntie Bev's house for some yummy burgers. My cousin Jason and his family drove up from Columbus to see us. That whole evening meant the world to us. They immediately threw an Ohio State hat on Rod, welcomed me with a glass of wine, and showered Ryan with lots of love and presents! We had a blast...next time we'll be visiting them longer.

Then, we headed to Grandma's house. If you've not been there, it's hard to explain how nostalgic you feel when you walk in to her house. There are TONS of memories there, so to have Rod and Ryan in her home was awesome. Grandma went with us to Lakeside, and she showed us around. The town is sooooo cute. Wish the weather was better. There were rainstorms all around us so we headed out before we wanted to. 

After Lakeside, we drove on to Huron where we stayed in a neat house right on the lake. This is where we met up with Grandma, Grandpa and Aunt Tallie. And, this is when Ryan took his first steps. Now, let me say this...I had NO IDEA that when I toddler learns how to walk, that that is all they'll want to do and try. So, this whole idea played a significant role when flying home. LORD ALL MIGHTY!Okay, so the next day, we went to Grandpa's house just before heading to the ferry for Put-n-Bay. Always nice to see Grandpa and relax out on his porch that overlooks the lake. We soon heading out to catch the next ferry...only to realize that we left the stroller back in Huron. ARGH. I bought that stroller specifically for this trip, and had been picturing us strolling Ryan around the island in his suped-up wheels. Well, turned out...we didn't need it at all. We had a golf cart that we strolled around in all over! We had burgers and beers before touring around. We were pooped at the end of the trip, so the ferry ride home was nice and relaxing.
The next day we went back to Grandpa's. The boys played golf at the club while us girls (and ryan) had lunch on the lake, and then went swimming with Mary, Joe and Lucy. (cousin and her kids). After a long day at the pool, we headed back up to Grandpa's to enjoy a few drinks and good conversation on his porch. Then, it was off to eat at Mon Ami.
We're now on Wednesday....PLAY DAY for Rod and I. Tallie, Rod and I went to Cedar Point while Grandma and Grandpa so graciously took care of Ryan (they toured around Lakeside and Marblehead). We had a blast at Cedar Point. If you want to, go check out there website. There is a ride called the Dragster that is unbelievable. You go 0 to 120 mph in 4.0 seconds. Jealous Dad??? CP has soooo many BIG rides, that we didn't even get a chance to ride them all. We got home at 10pm, and were EXHAUSTED!Thursday, we headed out to the Amish country which was absolutely fascinating! Russell (Rod's dad) found a neat place for us to stay the night. I laugh when I think about how Tallie and I saw a lady walking outside with a pan of rolls, and a dead chicken....feathers and all. Rod and Russell played golf while us women (and Ryan) went shopping in Walnut Creek. All I wanted to do was stare. I plan to get some books and read more about this culture.
Friday, we headed to Gallipolis where Millie (Grandma) grew up. I had so much fun meeting all of Rod's relatives. They were all so great and fun to meet. LOTS of kids in that family, all of which I enjoyed. We went to the town's carnival with the whole group.
Saturday (hang in there...I'm almost done) we went to Columbus to meet up with one of Millie's brother's and his family. It was nice because we got to visit more with the Roderick's and relax. That night, we stayed in Columbus...I went straight to bed. I was exhausted.Millie, Russell, and Tallie were soooooooo wonderful with Ryan. They were a huge help for Rod and I. They really made the trip so easy with a 13 month old. THANK YOU!!!!

Today, Ryan slept until 9:30am this morning, and went down for a nap at 11:00 and didn't wake up until 2:30. Actually, Rod and I had to wake him so we could go get something to eat.

Today, Ryan slept until 9:30am this morning, and went down for a nap at 11:00 and didn't wake up until 2:30. Actually, Rod and I had to wake him so we could go get something to eat.

9 comments:
What an awesome trip! I love Ryan's haircut - he looks so cute. I don't know if you know but Ryan and I lived in Akron, Ohio for a hear and a half. It was so pretty up there! Everything just seems so much more greener - if that makes any sense (well I mean in the spring/summer not in the snowy winters!) Anyways, fun pics to see. We always wanted to go to Cedar Point but never got the chance.
I love the new do as well! I love this post! Jess, i can't believe you had the tootle crew in all our ohio homes! and lucy and tally in the same room I'm sure was a hoot! I can't wait until our dinner tomorrow night!
His haircut is sooooo handsome!
And I bet Auntie Tal was beyond thrilled that he walked to her! That was too sweet to see.
Glad everyone is back safe and sound.
Yay for Ryan's first steps, for being a GREAT traveller, and for the cook new haircut!
Jess, he is getting oh so big and oh so cute, you know even cuter ; )
Soungs like a wonderful trip!
Syl
Jessica,
I had to send you this link.
http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook
It is software that lets you turn your blog into a book. How cool is that?!?!?
I had lunch with Aunt Tallie yesterday and heard all about the trip. She loved having so much Ryan time. (P.S. we named her Aunt Toot)
I love him walking. malyn keeps saying AGAIN MOMMY...AGAIN!
great update! what fun that we walked to tallie and i saw grandma .t in the background! what a great trip jess:P
stace
Great recap of a wonderful trip to Ohio.
You sure did a lot in just a week.
Glad you are home.
Post a Comment