background

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Remember When...

...after a doctor's appointment, your mom would take you to Wendy's or McDonald's??? I guess I was feeling quite nostalgic and wanted to do the same with Ryan. I wanted that good bonding time. I remember having my mom's full attention, and I just loved it. (middle child syndrome) I pictured him feeding me a fry and then cracking up at how funny it is that mommy ate a fry from his precious hand.

So, after Ryan's doc appt (double ear infection, congestion) off we went to McDonald's to enjoy a cheeseless burger for my milk-protein allergy kid. I soon realized that this lunch date would not go as dreamy as I thought it would. First, we stand in line for 15 minutes. Determined? Yes. It seems as though we picked the same lunch time as the area construction workers, and the Camp Bullis Military base. So, we get up to the counter and as I'm searching for my wallet, Ryan is pulling down on the ice tea dispencer. You get the idea. (FYI...There will be no putting my child down on a McDonald's floor). So, I apologize for two things. 1. being disorganized and 2. for the mess on the floor. (not that it makes any difference).

So, we get our meals, and I realized everything is just sticky. STICKY! I roll Ryan around in the high chair, holding our food tray, and trying to dodge the people in line. Finally, we find our seat..., and I'm still thinking I can pull this off. Ryan's fries were too hot so after one bite he refused them. I place his burger on his tray. I'm trying to talk and entertain him, and he just wanted to face toward the line of people, and stare at them. Then, he starts to eat, and his eyes start getting heavier and heavier. I few sips from his sippy cup, and the eyes are rolling backwards. Oh dear. 5.5 seconds and my child will be asleep in his sticky high chair, in the sticky restaurant, with ketchup in his hair. We bolted out of there to head back to daycare. And, as I assumed, he was passed out in my car, sound asleep like an angel.

Don't worry. The determination is still there, and I'll try again. I loved those times with my mom, so I'll be sure to carry on the tradition. Except....when I take my kid to the dentist, he won't get a red slushy AFTER his teeth cleaning. :) Love you mom! You are still so fun, and the SWEETEST!
"Ryan, look at Mommy. Isn't this fun?!?"

7 comments:

Chantel said...

That was hilarious!!!!

The Grays said...

I am cracking up - I can picture the whole scene...things never quite play out like they do in your head!

Pam said...

O Jess, so fun and yes how I remember the fun times. The one on one and the happy meals. We still do it, we just don't wait for a dr. appointment. We just go within a moments notice and usually are trying out a new resturant. Love that you have memories of those times.

Shelly said...

What a great tradition!!! Minus the sticky high chair :-) Way to be determined. Someday Ryan will blog about how much he loved the alone time with YOU.

stacy arnold said...

I remember Shipley's Donuts after our Orthodontist Appointment!

Anonymous said...

update please! havent seen my rye bread in weeks!!!

Pam said...

Remember when..... you used to blog all the time????

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Labels

Blog Archive